Sunday, September 22, 2013

Can I have some Alabama shakes, please?"

No, not a kind of milk shake.

The musical group Alabama Shakes played here a few nights ago.

They formed in 2009 in Athens, Alabama.

I had not heard of them but they were the musical guests on Saturday Night Live Feb 18, 2013 so they have quite a following.

The PAC (Performing Arts Center) was not completely sold out.

There might have been 5 or 6 empty seats.

Brittany "Diamond" Howard is the vocalist and she plays a mean guitar.

This American rock band was in the shadows most of the night, due to the decision to have a bright follow spot that stayed on her.

I was seated up front - and my 20x zoom let me "move" even closer - so I was involved and enjoyed her singing  "Hold On," "Always Right," "You Ain't Alone" and "Hang Loose."

What an emotional delivery. She channeled gritty Janis Joplin from when Janis fronted Big Brother & The Holding Company in the 60s.
"Diamond" Howard  showed traces of Gospel, rock and roll, roots music and more with deep anguish and feelings.

The link above to the band's appearance on SNL is preceded by a commercial that you can't skip.

Well, my "high tech" level can't figure out how to fast forward through it.

Click it and see if you can get past the ad.

The delightful sound bite is worth it either way.


This is a talented young lady and an excellent band.

While I had not heard of her, or them, before I am a big fan now.

Check out the link.

Too bad you weren't at the PAC Thursday night.

Or, maybe you were among the 2,000 lucky people there.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

Following live music and concerts has become even nicer now that everyone has a (phone) camera.

Takes a lot of pressure off me from well-meaning Security working at venues.

We indeed live in an interesting age.

Thanks for tuning in.



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home