Saturday, December 08, 2012

You Still Have Time...until December 30.

It's quite a collection of photos from the 50s, 60s and 70s of Rock and Roll legends.

Many of these "portraits" and fortunate snaps were used on album covers and all are stunning enlarged and framed in the gallery.

The Sound and Vision: Monumental ROCK & ROLL Photography opened at the Gibbes Art Museum Sept 21 and is due to move on Dec 30.

If you click on the link, you can enjoy a preview of the powerful collection of very familiar faces..

The name of the exhibition comes from a song and single by David Bowie in his 1977 album LOW.

That title LOW is said to reflect Bowie's cocaine-induced paranoia while he was living in L.A.

Hey, it was the swingin' 70s after all.

I had seen a similar traveling exhibit a few years ago
 in Columbia.

It was called "Who Shot Rock & Roll?" and was a delight so I looked forward to this one downtown.

From my viewpoint, I appreciated all the credit that both shows heaped on the photographers who took the shots.

Some are elaborate studio set-ups with multiple lights and others are by talented people with good cameras being in the right place at the right time.

Of course this passes through my mind every time I have a security person give me grief for having my camera with me at a concert.

If you are interested in photography or the colorful larger-than-life performers who brought us rock & roll, be sure to get to the Gibbes.

(Click on the photos for more detail).

The shot of the banner is mine but the Glam Rock saxy Bowie and the fighting Beatles are copied from the handout brochure.

The links feature slide shows with much better quality. The photographers deserve to have their work seen in the best possible way.

*Here's one I could relate to...the happy Beatles in a 1964 pillow fight after learning they would be going on tour to the United States.

In August 1965, my camera and I covered their press conference in San Diego - camped in the front row - and my photos live on in musical history.

I was working for the San Diego Union newspaper and that night,  I roamed around Balboa Stadium at will.

Even down on the field, close enough to see them smiling at each other as they played, you could not hear them.

The screaming fans (young girls) drowned them out.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home