Saturday, November 10, 2012

Somethin' Cookin' In The Kitchen...

My kitchen is large and looks nice.

Most visitors remark on its size and how much room I have to roam around as I cook.

Living alone, I don't really "cook."

Sam's Club and I have worked out a plan that does well for me.

I defrost and then microwave.

But I digress.

The good looking bright yellow kitchen paint needed some touch-ups on the walls.

Oops, I remembered tossing away many, many cans of paint last year during a massive cleaning downstairs.

Including the "mom's kitchen yellow" one.

The nice young lady in the paint department at Lowe's showed me MANY samples of "yellow."

I described the floor, cabinets and table and she suggested I paint the walls blue.

Because the walls have been some shade of specially-mixed yellow since 2004, I opted instead for a color in the same "family."

I bought several gallons of Burnt Orange.

Well, Valspar says it's Toffee Cream.

Whatever the name, the room started to look dramatically different after I did all the prep work and started applying paint.

Stunningly different.

The familiar pale yellow look of the kitchen has started on a path of change.

The saleslady told me the obvious - a darker look needs to be offset by lighter, brighter accent colors.

Well, all the trim is white as are the cabinets.

I bought some matching Valspar glossy white to freshen around the doors and windows as well as the floor trim next to the wood flooring.

The fridge, washer and dryer all are white so the room should NOT be gloomy.

The blinds, though brown, are actually bamboo and light comes through nicely.

All in all, I think the new look will be good.

After cleaning the brushes in warm soapy water and making sure everything was sealed and ready for Day 2, I was watching a little tv before going to bed and heard scratching.

Yikes,  I had put the cat in the spare bathroom so she wasn't underfoot.

I didn't want her knocking over the paint can or stepping in paint and tracking it around.

She didn't want to be away from the action any longer so I let her out and she inspected the kitchen thoroughly.

Hope she doesn't realize she'll be back in the bathroom later today.

She'll catch on when I take her bowl of Kibble in there. She already knows where to get water.

"Orange" you glad I take care of her?

(Groan and click on the pictures for more detail.)

During the clean up when I disposed of many cans of touch-up paint, I also tossed all of my drop cloths.

Masking tape and newspapers took care of Day 1.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Sat Nov 10, 10:07:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

You do have a big kitchen! Mine is a quarter that size. Can't wait to see the "after" shots.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home