Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Graffiti Aerosol Artistry

In my grueling, ongoing quest to check out ALL the area bars, clubs and music venues, I was wandering pretty close to home on Friday.

The Sparrow had announced it was opening the next day, just off Montague in the Park Circle Community.

When I walked in they were sweeping up, putting out tables and chairs and two young men were still painting the stage black, using a brush and a short-handle roller.

The smell of new paint was in the air.

Then I noticed some familiar faces painted on walls all around the new club.

Well, not people I actually hang out with, but at least some I knew about.

Famous people. movie stars, and tv personalities.

Edgar Allan Poe ....Gandhi ....Ray Charles.... and Bill Murray.

Well-known local artist and graffiti muralist Douglas Panzone was still creating "Caddyshack's" Carl Spackler.

I was smelling spray paint because I didn't have on a breathing mask.

As Doug's site shows, you've seen his work outside at Bert's Grocery on Folly Beach, and inside the Tin Roof in West Ashley and HoM, on upper King Street as well as Mellow Mushroom.

Welcome to legal graffiti in North Charleston!

He has a colorful palette but I doubt that Doug gets his art supplies from Lowe's or Home Depot.

(Please click on the photos for more details of Doug's work.)

Obviously, these are not posted yet on his site.

Well, maybe by now they are.

I plan to go back, have a beer or two and listen to the music.

The owner came in as I was leaving, beaming and saying "Hey, all the paperwork is done.

We're officially gonna open tomorrow!"


And they did.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wed Feb 29, 08:19:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Hey, Chuck! What a cool journey you're on. I need to make it back down to the low country and hang out a bit and let you take me to some of these places! :)

 
At Wed Feb 29, 09:34:00 AM , Blogger chuckography said...

Paul, we could do a pub crawl for sure. Bring your camera P/S Canon. Hope you like beer!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home