Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dumpster Diving.

Needed to clean out my basement/workshop this weekend.

Want to pick stuff up just once and toss it.

Hmm. How about renting a dumpster? I checked and chose a 10 Yard one and it was delivered to my back yard, right where I wanted it.

Good grief. Do I really have enough junk to warrant this huge trash bin?

The answer is YES.

Boy howdy, it could've even been bigger.

My parents moved into this house in 1964 and my Dad quickly built his wood-working shop.

That's also the year he started to save scraps and pieces of lumber. And Formica, and aluminum and pipe and moulding.

"Might need a piece just this long someday,"
I'm sure he thought.

Well, Dad, it was still downstairs.

Luckily, I had 9 great friends - members of my photo group - who came by to give me a hand toting and trashing.

It took them just about 2 hours (and four pizzas) to fill that dumpster.

As we came across items I had never used nor needed, I offered them if someone showed an interest.

Shiny things caught their attention a lot.

In addition to the debris-filled container, there are bags of clothing and linens that will be taken to Goodwill.

I also was told the Humane Society accepts towels and comforters they use to cuddle and make beds for puppies.

Awww. I'll check that out.

When I moved in to keep Mom company and be her roommate, I added my stuff to the storage downstairs.

Today I unwrapped glasses and mugs that I had carefully swathed in crumpled newspaper on December 21,1997. I kept some of those.


I found the tube-less cabinet that housed our first television set when we still lived downtown.

It is steel- not plastic - and one of the fellows asked for it. I said "Sure, but let's take a picture first."

We also took one of him posed inside the empty CBS-Columbia shell.

Now we both can say we were once in television.

Because this was a delightful bunch of photographers, a lot of interesting photo props were carted away.

I feel I'll see pictures of some of these at our monthly group meetings.

See Dad, your legacy lives on.

(Click on the photos to see more details.)

If you ever need a dumpster, I'm really pleased with the Trash Gurls.

I guess a 20-yard one is twice as big. Yikes.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Sat Feb 25, 09:20:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

Television always puts on 10 pounds.

Nothing to worry about.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home