Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Janis - Queen of Rock 'n' Roll!

Sunday at the Gaillard was "A Night With Janis Joplin," 

I had missed seeing her perform when she exploded on the music scene in the sixties.

I was aware of "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Piece of My Heart" certainly but did not see her before she died Oct 4, 1970.  Janis was 27.

2014 Tony Award nominee Mary Bridget Davies, captured the voice, the emotion, and the energy last night.

And this Broadway hit wrapped up its 32-city tour appropriately here in Charleston.

The opening number was a lilting classic "Summertime," followed by  the rugged version as belted out by Ms. Joplin. (The link takes you to that true rendition by the real Janis Joplin in 1969).

 This was not just an impersonator doing songs made famous by somebody else.

I've seen a few "do" Elvis and even the Beatles and Elton John.

The audience bought into this and the experience was electric.

The four talented ladies in the "chorus" brought to life many of the musical influences in Joplin's short life.

They gave us faithful moments of Etta James, Odetta, Nina Simone, Bessie Smith and a standing ovation by Aretha Franklin, all shimmery and shiny in silver.

A magical evening with the  performances at the extremely-talented
Broadway level and delightfully tricky staging and lighting.

This was my fourth evening of performances at our newly-reopened Gaillard Center and I am proud to say all have been exceptional.

At the last minute I had to skip the David Sedaris evening but I hear it too was splendid.

Two single spots on him, standing at the lectern stage center as he read - and tested - his written material for an avid audience.

Thank you, Gaillard, for  choice entertainment.

And we haven't even seen yet what it will do with Spoleto!

Click on the photos and the links for more details and information.

Thanks for stopping by to share my take on Charleston entertainment.

Yes, I remember bell-bottoms but, these were pretty fancy.





Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wed Apr 27, 07:13:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

I didn't even consider this since I figured no one could provide the Janis experience.
I love her music. Always believed she would still be around if we had met.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home