Friday, March 09, 2012

"He Came To Play...."

In a crowd of 10,000 Elton John fans, it is not easy to carry around vinyl records covers.

And a few CDs in her white plastic bag, I noted.

Yes, she DID get to the front row.

Yes, Elton John signed the vintage "Fantastic" cover.

What a night!

The knighted-man pounded the keys steadily for almost 3 hours.

I think the encore was brief because he had played ALL of his hits.


At one point, he put his left foot atop the piano to show his total domination of the instrument.

To say the crowd was pleased would be a massive understatement.

It was a well-staged show with, not only his band, but four excellent back-up singers.

And two men on dueling cellos.

It also was my first chance to experience the newly-added Montague Terrace at the Coliseum.

Guess most of the shows I attended recently had been next door at the Performing Arts Center.

In fact, I'll be back there at the PAC for the Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt Show on St. Paddy's Day.

Dedicated - and persistent - fans got the Elton signature (probably only "EJ" judging by the speed he was writing.)

Two young men were called up on stage at the end and I am sure he signed his whole name on the souvenir shirts they were wearing.

I have to include the obligatory Elton-seated-at-the-piano shot that everyone takes.

A fan standing next to me glanced at the digital shots I was taking, handed me her card and said "Please send me at least one picture!"

I of course agreed.

Everyone else seemed to have their phone cameras in use, snapping away.

Quite a few were shooting videos.

(Click on the photos for more details.These were all taken with my Canon S90. No SLR or long lenses.)

Security was more interested in keeping the aisles cleared than stopping photography.

What a pleasant change.

Click. Click. Click.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Mar 09, 11:36:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

What a night. That's cool that they even let you in with your camera, let alone letting you snap to your heart's content! You're a concert going kind of guy. Sounds like you've got quite a lineup in front of you.

 
At Fri Mar 09, 08:18:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Actually, on Sunday, I'll be at the PAC for the traveling Hendrix Experience with Buddy Guy, Robert Randolph and a bunch of
others "playing tribute" to Jimi.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home