Thursday, September 20, 2007

My 101st Blog Posting = Newspaper Photography

When I started this blog a year and a half ago, it was to be an outlet for memories of my favorite times - mainly the 1960s - when I was a staff photographer for the San Diego Union and Evening Tribune.

This blog has wandered into other topics and times but the 1960s were great.

Oh, that period was also when I got out of the Marines, moved to California, graduated from college, got married and had 2 children. It was a very busy decade.

In fact, my son and daughter found themselves in print quite a few times.

When you're not covering breaking news stories, fires and accidents, there's a LOT of photo space to fill in a daily metropolitan newspaper.

In earlier blog entries I showed photos of a Senator and several Presidents I covered for the paper, and my "QUIET" photo that ran as a full page in LIFE magazine but I don't think I mentioned how much humor popped up in the newspaper.



Between "real" news, a staff photographer was expected to keep his eyes open and react quickly to a photo opportunity. On very rare occasions, we would pose some photos for a desired effect but the real fun was to come across something that was truly funny. The man I saw taking his dog for a walk is a good example.

I pulled up behind him, took a few shots, then caught his attention, stopped him and got the information I needed for a caption. This was not a photo showing a spectacular event but it drew a laugh or two. It WAS funny.

At least to my eye ...back in the sixties.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Sep 21, 11:46:00 AM , Blogger Margo said...

These are so amazing!! Thank you for sharing.

 
At Sun Sep 23, 08:24:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are grand!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home