Saturday, May 02, 2020

Who's the prisoner here?

Seven weeks and counting. This stay-at-home mandate has gotten old.

My cat is confused about why I am HERE all the time. Oh, she likes that her Kibble bowl is always topped off and that the litter box is cleaned in a timely manner.

And now, she is hearing some new sounds outside on the deck as I am having a screen porch assembled, it bothers her and makes her even more cat curious. If that's possible.

She (Wallis) just turned 8 years old, orange. and has ALWAYS been an inside cat.

Oh, a few years ago, I left the door ajar for a moment and she bravely darted out onto the mysterious deck. AHA!

First time...free to explore ...out on her own... free to roam... New Frontiers...the world was her oyster!

She took 4 or five steps, looked around and walked back inside and went to her Kibble bowl in the kitchen.

Oh, kitty, when I am told I can go outside and go freely anytime and anywhere I want, THAT will be a happy day! When the coronavius is mitigated and we can safely start to mingle with others again!

Yesterday I girded up to venture out to the bank.

I've been out to the nearby Food Lion three times for groceries since this all started so there ARE brief outings. Too brief and too constrained.

The bank lobby, of course, has been closed for quite a while so I joined the tail-end of the 9-car queue for the drive-up windows. Slowly the two rows moved forward and then I noticed there was a man standing right behind my car.

His mask was pulled down and he stood there working a crossword puzzle, pencil in hand so he might have been circling job ads in the paper.

With COVID-19 changing all the rules I guess walking up to the drive-in window has become a thing...even legal.

Maybe he just wanted to get out of the house, was taking a walk and decided to do some banking.

Heading home, I decided to swing by the Charleston International Airport (it was on my way) and see what the parking lots looked like during the pandemic.

 NOT completely empty...just mostly. Construction of the new (second) parking garage looked in full swing and I noticed the workers were NOT wearing masks.

I pulled up next to a security guard who was slowly pacing along his appointed rounds - nobody was double- or even single-parked to be told to "move along."

I lowered my window and said, "Your job has to be a lot easier these days, right?"

He looked over and agreed. "Planes are taking off now with only 7 or 8 people on board." I saw only one shuttle van parked at the curb in the taxi stand.

I drove away... then decided to swing around again and see if I could take a photo of actual passengers arriving to go board a plane. Hey, I might get lucky.

I did.

One lady bid farewell and got back in her car and her passenger crossed to the terminal. 

She did not bother to look left or right as he hefted her bag and headed inside.

I got home and my cat greeted me as if I had been gone for days! I wish!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home