Friday, April 24, 2020

Uh, NOT just one big heavy box?

So, I went online and ordered a kitchen "island" cabinet. I wanted to have some more new counter space to place things on when cooking.

And two new drawers to put things away but at my fingertips.

And, of course, more wide new storage spaces.

Hey, it's a BIG kitchen and there is plenty of room for this new handy addition.

Saw a good item at a good price at Lowe's and was told free delivery would be in three days.

On delivery day, I opened wide the gate to my back yard so the truck could be backed in to make lugging it the stairs would be easier ..for the Lowe's delivery people.

But, there was no truck and, as it got later in the day, the computer stated it had been delivered??

On my front porch, I found three large boxes.

I lugged, pushed, and pulled them into the kitchen.

Opening them I found the first of a thick set of papers and drawings showing the simple assembly I would be doing.

(I know I did not order this from IKEA, famous for "some assembly required.")


I now have a lifetime supply of foam packing materials. 

My efforts to sort and recycle various grades of plastic had not come across this mass of stuff before.

Obvious China has found a way to get a LOT of unwanted plastic out of their country!

Once I sorted out all of the pieces - clearly identified by all of the letters of the alphabet - they were scattered around my up-to-now spacious kitchen.

There was a mounting feeling of accomplishment as the pieces started coming together and an object very similar to the illustration on the boxes was taking shape as the afternoon slid into the evening of Day 1.


The "Island" stood proudly in my less-cluttered kitchen.

I was pleased as I looked around I did NOT spot any leftover, unused important pieces!

It sat level, not at all wobbly.

There were several times when I had to backtrack and take something apart, adjust
a piece I had reversed and then set it right.

But, now, I was proud of my accomplishment of assembling what I thought was going to come complete and ready-to-use.

As I tossed away the last of the packets of the nuts and bolts, I was pleased to see one, unopened, filled with a handful of familiar items, marked simply "Extra pieces."

Many years ago I had put together a study desk for my older daughter that had to be assembled and swore then "Never Again!"

Click on the photos and links for more details.

It WAS all done on DAY 1 and that was a great feeling.




Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home