Wednesday, March 18, 2020

You are as old as you feel...

 Well, now that we all have been told to hunker down and isolate in our homes, my back goes out more often than I do!

Old joke, but for this older citizen, I now am cooking more at home.

NOT wandering into restaurants, craft breweries and bars as I was wont to do.

It is the new CoronaVirus reality.

I am that guy people often like to describe as older, or people of a certain age!

Less than a month ago, this "old man" enjoyed the touring U.S. Navy band in concert at CSU.

This was when we could join a crowd for a musical evening.

I made sure, on the way out afterwards, to stop and shake the hand of the Conductor, Kenneth Collins, Captain, USN.

I leaned in and told him this old Marine enjoyed the show put on for us by the Navy, His smile faded a bit with this inter-service jibe.

Earlier this month I introduced my kid brother (he's only 77) and wife to Turkish cuisine across from Tanger Outlets in North Charleston.

I miss dining out now that we are under siege by a virus but I also have always been a big supporter of live music here and at touring concerts nearby.

A weekend of The Blues with Gary Erwin (Shrimp City Slim) was enjoyed up in Camden, now shut down as a serious site of the virus that has affected us all.

Was it only a month or so ago that we could assemble there for several days of music and friends,  mingling with fellow Blues fans?

With all the shutdowns and closures, I am NOT gallivanting all over the place.

Not enjoying music and new places and new adventures.

Almost makes me feel older. But, as they say,  get up, get out and stay busy and entertained.

Sad to see a small cabaret playhouse close its doors because of this disease shutdown.

34 West, on Meeting Street at Pinckney - across from the always crowded Hyman's Seafood restaurant - has given me many fine evenings of laughs and camaraderie.

Such places and restaurants are having problems adjusting to the NEW times of fear of infection in crowds.

AND, all of the tickets I had bought for shows at the PAC and the Gaillard, have been canceled or postponed to September. Fingers crossed!

Oh well, we adapt and move on.

This lack of outside draws and entertainment makes me enjoy my personal exercise area at home.

Health clubs and public gyms are closed and I am fortunate to have ready access to machines that will keep me fit and toned as we all see social changes.

I also can do my binge-watching of Netflix and, HULU and Amazon Prime as I pump away at staying fit and healthy.

Someone "my age" enjoys retirement and free time to the fullest. I have traveled to Atlanta and Raleigh to see The Rolling Stones (twice in 3 weeks).

Saw Robin Williams in concert the night before he went in for a heart valve transplant.

Enjoyed Paul Simon twice; Madison Square Garden sellout crowd for Billy Joel in NYC; a chilly night in Charlotte with John Fogerty and the recent "revival" of  Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Lyle Lovett, Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, 'Keb 'Mo, Tab Benoit and Leon Russell a few times.

Heck, I covered the Beatles in the 1960s when I was a young photographer for the San Diego Union-Tribune newspapers!

Maybe I am one of those  Keen-agers?

(Thanks for stopping by, It gets lonely here at home. Click on the photos and links for more details and come back often.)

I love company.




Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home