Monday, January 27, 2020

Some young musicians practice every day.......



Yesterday, I enjoyed an afternoon of teen Jazz musicians and feel encouraged that " jazz music future is in good hands!"

Part of a week-long salute to the genre, these 7 "bands" won well-deserved applause from a packed church a few blocks from my home. 

I walked over wearing my Lowcountry Blues Club t-shirt.

I talked up the weekly Sunday free Blues Jam held a few blocks away.

Then, yesterday evening, I joined the crowd at Smokey's Place.

That's the music-friendly 9-year home of the Blues Club.

There, I praised the impressive young Jazz musicians I had enjoyed earlier.



A great day for a short stretch of Remount Road in North Charleston! 

Not exactly the famed Highway 61 but a good showing.

I was a bit surprised there were not any ads or presence for Forte Jazz Lounge, the new music venue downtown on King Street.

What a natural tie-in with the young and old jazz musicians and - in this case - the VERY interested and involved parents!

Here are a few more views on a lovely Sunday afternoon in Charleston, SC...home of the Blues AND Jazz.

I live in a musical neighborhood indeed.

Oh, there was a special announcement by the bandleader for the youngest group there - Westview Middle School.

"We have a few seasoned players mixed in with our young men...especially Ulysses Corbett, who played with the
Count Basie band!"

"Mr. Corbett is 99-years old * and an inspiration to our young players that music can last a lifetime!"

I spoke with the leader after the show to get the correct spelling of the names.

I found the 13-year old playing trumpet behind the seasoned pro was Wesley Ward, the bandleader's son.

He also admitted that, as a joke, he assigns different ages for Mr. Corbett who actually is "only" mid-seventies.

Be sure to click on the photos and links for more details and information.







Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home