Monday, April 20, 2020

A Smoking Saturday


Oh, I just realized while watching WEST WING  - and wishing we had such a President now - that
it was President Bartlet I was pining for!  So smooth!

During the virus lockdown, there was plenty of free time to wander around Netflix.

I relaxed with cookies and milk flashing back to those fictional times.
I am SO into home cooking now going into week 6 of stay-at-home. 

I always ignored frozen pizzas before.

But, now that most Za places are closed, this is my second one. Half for dinner, 
the other half in the fridge because cold pizza is the best. IMHO.

Also I now make avocado toast, which I discovered was a thing when in Edinburgh, Scotland! 

Had it each of the 3 days I was there.  I cut-up tomatoes to put on top and sprinkle on some garlic. 

Uh, I forgot to toast the bread first one time so it was awkward to handle shoving it into my mouth.

Heard the sirens Saturday, breaking up a dull day of seeing years-ago sports episodes repeated on tv.

After the third fire truck rumbled past, I stepped out on the deck and saw dense smoke 
billowing across my back yard and down my dead-end street. 

Well, the fire was NOT 
on MY block but the next one over.

As the smoke turned whiter I knew water was on the flames so the firemen were attacking it.

I finished whatever mindless, boring thing I was doing, slipped on  my facemask and headed over to the next block.

A police car blocked entry to the street and the hydrant on the corner was plugged in to supplement the tankers on the scene.

Good to know it was in working order. I guess they check these often in advance?

My neighbor apparently was in the midst of having an outdoor kid's party in their yard.

Hmmm,  I saw no other masks in the small crowd that had gathered at the blocked intersection. I kept the social distance as I chatted.

The house further down the street being discussed was one that had been running generators for a while, apparently having no power to the house??

Head-nodding as this word was passed around. Somebody down on their luck now was having a TERRIBLE day!

I went home, planning to wander down the street to the scene later when the street was opened.

(Hey, a blog posting like mine NEEDS some photos.)

It was still blocked a few hours later so I shot from a distance after a police Sgt said I could go down the street.. but NOT past the truck. 

Another police officer strode up to stop me as I neared the truck to say  "Hey, get outta here, can't you see the street is blocked by the police cars?"


Behind my mask, I smiled and said "Yes, I did and I asked the Sgt if I could come 
down. He said OK but  NOT to go past the truck."

Oh, he shrugged and turned back to watch the firemen dousing embers.

Glad I had noticed the stripes on the sleeves of the officer I had asked.

So, back to boredom. Wish the best for the folks who have a severely-damaged home now.

Click on the photos for more details.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home