Thursday, November 11, 2010

Do you know "Tilt-Shift?"

Someone told me about an effect you can create with your photo called "Tilt-Shift."

Wow. It really does make objects look like toys or miniature models of everyday sights.

Well, an every day scene if you happen to be flying at 1,200 feet over the Yorktown aircraft carrier at Patriot's Point.

You make the focus very "soft" above and below the area you want to appear model-like. Then you crank up the color saturation to almost cartoon level.


Hey, this actually works.

I am sure there are phone apps by now that do this automatically with pictures.

I experimented and did it "by hand" on my computer.

The "round house" on Isle Of Palms is a good example of this visual manipulation.


A picture of the Brugge, Belgium town square taken from a tall bell tower became a collection of tiny objects.

Little itty-bitty horses and carriages.

Wee restaurants with small tables and chairs and umbrellas.

Not-so-haughty waiters in this view.

Here's how it looks when you apply this effect to an actual miniature model town of a railroad setting in Atlanta in the former Underground.

Size does not always matter.


(Click on the photos for detail. Some taken with my Canon S90. The rest with earlier Point and Shoot cameras. The BEST camera is the one you have with you. Thanks for viewing my blog.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Mon Nov 29, 09:58:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are really cool! I'm going to try to figure out how to do this. I enjoy your blog a lot. One of these days I'm going to get around to starting one myself. I'll surely see you at a show sooner than later.
Devin Grant

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home