Friday, July 03, 2009

Happy 4th...etc.

Quite a few years ago (not as far back as this picture), my older daughter was with me on a flight to London.

I was on Missouri Tourism business because now there was a direct non-stop from St. Louis to London. And, of course, seats to fill from England to Missouri.

The airline flew several of us travel planners back and forth for a series of meetings.

It was early summer, about this time of year, and my 16-year old was able to accompany me while I was there for several days of face-to-face sessions. She would be entertained during the day while I was busy and we'd meet each evening for dinner.

Amy leaned forward in her seat and asked "Dad, do the British have the 4th of July?"

I laughed and said "No, no, of course not. That's the day we celebrate our breaking away from the English and establishing our own separate country."

OK, I know everyone is way ahead of me on this...

She smiled as she picked up an inflight magazine and settled back. "Actually Dad, they DO have July 4th.... and July 5th .... and the 6th and the 7th."

I think about this every year.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home