Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Go Granny Go!!

So years and years ago - when I was married the first time - my wife's grandmother was coming to visit us.

We lived in San Diego.

She was coming in from Missouri.

We started planning what to do to show this 77-year old lady a grand time.

The symphony was not playing and no operas were on tap. "She probably would like a museum visit," the wife suggested.

I was riding a Yamaha bike at the time and working for the newspaper. Married students tried to save money wherever they could.

"Hey, let's have the artist at the paper draw a Hell's Angels symbol on a black leather jacket and pose her by my machine," I responded.

So we had that ready when she arrived and I took the picture.

"Grandmother, what would you like to do while you're here?" The wife asked, shooting me a look to let me know she was more than a little bummed by the biker picture.

"Well," she answered, "I've never been up in a helicopter."


Our son got to ride and clenched her hand as they whirred above San Diego. She told him she was glad he was along. It made her feel safe. He liked that.

I'm just glad the artist changed it to H-E-C-K.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home