Friday, January 06, 2012

A REVOLUTIONARY kinda town....

Remember! This is a sea port so a "typical" breakfast here should contain seafood.

This is no Grand Slam that you can get anywhere.

This is a cheese and crab (lump and claw) omelet.

With a side of creamy grits.

I skipped the biscuit at the Marina Restaurant for an English muffin. It seemed tasty and appropriate.

My morning had started down in the historic district at
The Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon where I gave a photo presentation.


The owners of the building are the South Carolina Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Better known as the D.A.R.

The Fort Sullivan Chapter started their meeting after some socializing and inducted several new members before I was introduced as the morning guest speaker.

My topic was CHUCKOGRAPHY and how taking pictures has been entwined through all my life. Well, so far.

I mean, I'm still living it.

Grew up about 10 blocks away on Society Street in Ansonborough and my first picture shows my dad and his older brother, holding a bike.

It was probably taken in the 1920s.

The next shot is my grandmother standing on the Cooper River bridge when it was still under construction.

I have good photo files.

Early Kodak Box Brownie photos of me in grade school, as a high school photographer and a Marine Corps Combat Photographer 1957-1960 followed.

That led to a photography scholarship at the University of San Diego and becoming a staff photographer for the Union-Tribune newspapers there. And so on.

My folks always told us were related (six "grands") to Charles Cotesworth Pinckney.

I felt right at home with this group.

We might even be related.


(Click -twice- on the photo for more details.)

If you have not taken a tour yet of The Old Exchange, please do so.

It's a direct link to Charleston's roots way, way before the Civil War.

Thanks for stopping by. Please come again and join me on making an historic tour.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Sat Jan 07, 11:51:00 AM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Hey Chuck! I am glad it all worked out. It looks like you were a big hit. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home