Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Making A List And Checking It Twice....

People tell me Craigslist is the WAY to go to advertise. In addition to being free, you can run photos with your listing.

I like the idea of showing a clear picture of what is for sale.

Looking over Craigslist, I see that many, many people have some really ugly pieces of furniture they're trying to get rid of.

Maybe it's like babies...YOURS looks better than anyone else's.

I thought I would go with a President Jackson approach: you bring me a crisp $20 bill and then you take your pick.


Well, $20 on selected items.

The bicycle would be $75-$100 (the tires ARE holding air and look good).

The 42" butcher-block dinette with 4 chrome chairs would be 4 Jacksons ($80) and it comes with an 18" leaf.

I have mixed feelings here. The paper background in my "studio" is the end of a roll of newsprint I got when I worked at The Post and Courier.

And using Craigslist means NOT using traditional print classified ads. But it would cost an arm and a leg to include a photo in a print listing. Hmmm.*

I would welcome ANY suggestions to make this alternative advertising work for me ... and avoid pitfalls. Anyone??

* An update: A buddy suggested I create a page with additional copy and photos to make newspaper ads work better, so I did and will include the link in those bare-boned ads. http://classifiedsale.blogspot.com

(As usual, click on the photo to enlarge for details.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wed Feb 04, 05:35:00 PM , Blogger Paula Roberts said...

Oh you should be so ashamed! Kidding, I know exactly how you feel. I have to say it under my breath when I tell people I found a dorm fridge for my daughter for on $25 on (mushing my mouth and mumbling as I say it) Craig's List. As a newspaper ink bleeder, it's really hard for me to admit that a FREE classified listing could possibly work but reality tells me it does. As for the newsprint roll, better hold on to it, it could soon be in the same class as the clawfoot - a real antique!

 
At Tue Mar 10, 03:31:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Here's an update ...the newspaper ad listings won. I received more dollars in my hand face-to-face by a 3 to 1 margin.

Still have paid ZERO and have taken in more than $1100.

Two scammers tried to best me on Craigslist but, because they matched the CL profile for scams almost point by point, it was a no brainer.

I even turned them in to CL.

No. Nigeria was NOT mentioned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home