Monday, March 17, 2014

In Ireland, St. Patrick's Day is over.

 OK, OK, we know this day is over in Dublin, Ireland.

The 4-hour time difference thing.

(I think it's 5 hours if you take away our Daylight Savings Time factor.)

So St. Patrick's Day has come and gone.

Officially.

Well, it would have been appropriate to re-visit the worlds tallest Leprechaun.

Ah, me lad, but he is out there on the streets, waving at tourists, all year long.

Collecting coins in his good-sized wee hat.

And that's grand.


But The Emerald Isle is much more than that stale stereotype.

On the campus at Trinity College (University of Dublin), I went into the Old Library and The Book of Kells Exhibition.

"The Book" is a 9th Century Gospel Manuscripts, beautifully illustrated.

Actually, it has been divided into the Four Gospels so tourists can crowd close as two are usually on display in the upstairs, darkened room.

Large signs say "No Photography" but I eased out my small camera to get a dim natural light shot of an enlarged page illustration.

Unfortunately, in the dark, I did not properly turn off my flash and WOW..it was bright!

I quickly jammed it back in my pocket and joined all the others, looking around to see who had been so rude!

Later I realized the face looked very familiar and finally it dawned that I was looking at Jay Leno dressed in a funny outfit. Reading from a cue card.

For a short while, on Daniel Island, we had the only Irish pub around offering the traditional Irish Boxty.

The thin pancakes are rolled up and stuffed with meat, sweets or veggies. I had it a few times at the Dublin Down before it closed.

Not to be confused with the traditional Irish Breakfast, served around the clock.

The white and black pudding slices caught my eye.

This was enjoyed while on a train taking me south and inland  down to Cork.

There I boarded a sightseeing tour bus with an excellent tour guide.

I flash back to many of these memories every March 17.

The other "food" served day and night was a refreshing pint of Guinness.

Or two.

Actually, you could have a Guinness with breakfast ..served around 5:00 in the afternoon.

I know this for a fact.

This year the St. Paddy's celebration here in Charleston was dampened by rain.

A steady downpour.

But I'm almost positive the Irish invented umbrellas just in case that happened.

I saw that parades still were held and I'm sure some places served beer tinted green.

(Click on the pictures for more details.)

I understand the celebration lasted four days in Savannah.

Hope boxties were available.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home