Sunday, February 23, 2014

"Thank yuh, thank yuh very much..."


It's called Third Thursday in Summerville.

Stores downtown stay open later, vendors set up stands, entertainment is provided and a sense of community is fostered.

Some members of my Photography Group proposed a Sidewalk Photo Walk last Thursday.

I showed up because I heard Elvis would be there.

As I walked up Short Central (by the city parking garage) I heard "Love Me Tender" booming out loud and clear.

The King was there. It sounded like Elvis and the sideburns looked right.

Well, the belt buckle would help some younger folks identify the singer who was 42 when he died August 16, 1977.

I chatted with "Elvis" Larry Wiley, Director of Clinical Services for Floyd Brace, when he took a break from his karaoke machine and microphone.

"As an Elvis fan and impersonator, I was impressed by an excellent tribute performer in Las Vegas," Larry told me.

He said he congratulated the man and mentioned he was with an orthotics and prosthetics company in South Carolina.

The Vegas Elvis stated he had lost both legs and was proudly standing there as testimony that people are not handicapped by a loss of limbs.

Later, eating chicken parm on the front patio of Alessandras, others in the group told me more about Larry and his family.

He was well-known in the community as a good guy who performs as Elvis at hospital, Senior Centers and nursing homes.

"His wife made that outfit," I was told.

I believe the Photo Group will make Third Thursday - and Second Sunday downtown on King Street - a standing invitation to grab your camera and come out and join the fun.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

As we finished dinner, I saw Larry carrying speakers to his truck.

I shouted "Elvis has left the building."

He smiled and waved.





Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home