Sunday, July 28, 2013

So, 93 years ago.....



My Grandmother, Alyce May Boyd, was a single mom who raised two boys here in Charleston.

One young man was my dad.

In the mid-1920s, she was with the Country Club of Charleston.

My granny was featured in the front of a booklet that was produced about the prominent golf course.

I found the booklet recently and stopped by the CCC to see if the current Manager Bates would like to flip through it.

 Ron Gillette, the manager, said he would like to but was totally involved with an upcoming USGA event.

The 2013 U.S.Women's Amateur  Championship will be conducted for the first time here in Charleston, he added.

156 top golfers will arrive August 3-4 and the tournament runs August 5-11.

He asked that I contact him later next month.

I keep forgetting that even though I'm retired, others have jobs and deadlines. I said "Sure."

That's my grandmother with her sons.

My father Jerry is on the right and his older brother Eddie on the left, posing in Hampton Park.

With their proud mother.

I love the 1920s slogan for Charleston: "The City By The Sea."

Hey, Conde Nast, you're a little late coming to the party.

Their readers recently named Charleston the number one travel destination in the world.

Golfers have known about us for quite a while.

In fact, I have a signed print from the 1990 Charleston Golf Expo that shows the first golf clubs shipped to America arriving in Charleston harbor May 10,1743.

People ask me if I play a lot of golf since I retired in 2004?

I laugh and say "No, I got a call from Tiger Woods and he asked me to give up golf...for the good of the game."

Not a true story of course, but if I ever wanted to shoot my age for 18 holes, I would have to be about 110 years old.

Need to work on my drive.

I was told I'm too close to the ball. After I hit.

Once I sank a long, long, up and down 20-foot putt that amazed me as well as others waiting to play.

I said "Man, I needed that! For an 8," as I marked my scorecard.

Wonder if my grandmother had a similar view when she would come to work at "the Club?"

I took this when I stopped by a few days ago.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

My bag and clubs are stored somewhere downstairs.

Wonder if I could still remember my swing?

Oops, oh yeah, THAT was my real handicap.

However, I did enjoy the 19th hole.

Thanks for stopping by "on the turn."




Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home