Saturday, July 27, 2013

Canon 35mm film cameras ...and lenses

Ten years ago I decided to put aside my film cameras and check out this new thing called  - digital.

Glad I did and I'm on my 5th small digital camera.

By small, I mean it's only about the size of a deck of cards.

A nice camera with lots of settings that fits in my shirt pocket.

My newest one is the Canon sx260 with a 20x optical zoom.

That's roughly a 25mm to 500mm lens. But, it still slides into my pocket and is usually with me.

Back in my film days, the largest I had was a 75mm - 200mm zoom (the one pictured front and center).

Actually I had about four lenses I carried with me, in a bag slung over my shoulder.

And several camera bodies so I could have two  -with different lenses ready to use - draped around my neck.

Hey, that's what it was like 10 years ago.

Back in the 1960s, when I worked for a San Diego newspaper, I had toted a 4x5 format Speed Graphic, a bag filled with lenses AND many, many 2-sided film packs.

So, carrying around several 35mm cameras was quite a relief.

Usually the short, "standard" 50mm lens was on the main camera.

It was a good, general focal length so I was able to quickly bring the camera up to my eye for a grab shot that suddenly presented itself.

Having been a press photographer, the credo was "Get the shot" and then, if there was time, compose and snap more as you analyzed the situation, the lighting, the event taking place, etc.

These modern digital cameras make street photography fun.

People are not as likely to be startled when you raise a small camera - similar to their iPhone or Android - and catch an expression or special lighting.

My newest "tool" is a device that makes the image on the back of a digital camera easier to see in bright light.

You wear the light rubber "hood loupe" on a lanyard around your neck and can hold it in place as you use the whole combo as a viewfinder.

Follow the action in sports or out in nature watching birds flying around.

It appears I am pretty well set with my digital choices.

Now, I wonder if anyone is looking for some nice 35mm film cameras. Or, perhaps adapt the "glass" I have sitting on a shelf to their larger digital SLRs (Single Lens Reflex).

Hmm. That bears looking into.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

I also have a 28mm "wide angle" lens and a smaller zoom that goes from 28mm to 85mm.

The camera in my pocket obviously can't produce the excellent results like the larger ones.

But it does what I want.


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home