Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Last Piccolo-Spoleto Blues event....for 2013.

Cozy Home Team BBQ in West Ashley Saturday was the venue for my last 2013 Spoleto-Piccolo music event.

Nita B. and the Swingin' Soiree closed this year's arts festival for me.

The big "official" celebration of the end of the 36th Spoleto Festival USA was at Middleton Gardens Sunday night but this was closer to home.

And, it never rains at Fiery Ron's place.

Nita Belk was the Songstress and Tim Belk was on drums. Marc Brookshire on guitar and Bill Buck, bass.

Playing sax - and flute - was Jack Forseen.

Shades of Jethro Tull in its bluesy days.

We need MORE flute-playing in bands!

I figure, if you're a flautist, flaunt it.

Jack was great on the sax and kept his cool on flute as I edged in closer and closer with my camera.

The 5-person group came down from Charlotte, NC to give us two enjoyable sets.

If I were planning a soiree, I'd get in touch with Nita and the boys.

It says online that Nita got hooked on the blues when she bought a bass guitar and taught herself  to play while making soup in the kitchen.

There's a song title in there somewhere.

The band blends blues and jazz from the 30s, 40s and 50s as well as contemporary Chicago-style blues.

The band plays tight and she has a sweet voice.

The grit is there too on certain songs as she belts it out.

She stepped down to dance a moment or two with a hearty fan and drew nice applause after each song.

(Click on the photo for more details.)

Another Spoleto is in the books.

This one I tried to pace myself.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Thu Jun 20, 08:53:00 AM , Blogger finbarr said...

You just found what Charlotte has know for a long time, Nita is great. She's about one of the hardest working musician in Charlotte. You were also right in highlighting the members in her band, all fine musicians in their own right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home