Saturday, January 19, 2013

Working In The Garden on Saturday....

Dee, a member of my Photo Group, suggested a trip to Cypress Gardens for a Photo Walk Saturday.

"It's free to residents of Berkeley County on the 3rd Saturday," she explained.

She added we had to check in before noon for the free admission.

We set a 9 am meet up time in the parking lot.

I live in what is called Lower Berkeley County.

The Gardens are in the Upper section.

I set my alarm clock. And my GPS.

My last visit there was about 48 years ago so I certainly was overdue to go again.

Arrived in plenty of time and wore layers of warm clothing.

It had dipped to just below freezing the night before.

But, the sun was shining and a nice day was predicted.

As members arrived, I saw the variety of backpacks and their shoulder bags filled with cameras and lenses.

My new small Canon sx260HP was on my belt.

Oh, I did have my 3-year old workhorse, the Canon S90, in my jacket pocket.

I almost tripped on a log on the pathway as I read the warning sign.

At least, I think it was just a log.

Jackson, one of the members of my group, agreed he was sitting pretty on the edge of the swamp.

Later he said he was going to test a device that fits on top of his tripod to make panoramic views.

It physically moves the camera in a predetermined arc to snap a series of pictures that can be "stitched" together later to make quite a spectacular shot.

It works both side-to-side and up-and-down. Yikes.

I remember being paddled around the cypress trees over the black reflective water in a small boat.

Our then 2-year old son sat on his mother's lap and my mom also was on board.

My son Chris turns 50 the middle of this year.

Did not remember there being a Butterfly House way back then so I wandered inside.

Double doors keep the flying critters inside when people are coming and going.

It really is amazing to stand and watch them up close as they flutter around.

They land on the leaves as well as the flowers.

Maybe that's just to rest.

Signs asked us not to touch them nor attempt to "brush them off" if they land on you.

The message added "they do not bite."

After a few hours of walking some trails and enjoying the Gardens, I hopped in my car and headed for home.

I saw a belching smokestack in Bushy Park and pulled over in a safe spot off the highway.

There was a shot I wanted to try and, fortunately, I had a water bottle in the car that would work well.

I placed the plastic bottle on the roof of my car and carefully aimed my camera.

I wanted to make it appear the smoke - or steam -  was billowing from the bottle.

I think the effort worked.

The water had a delicate smoky bouquet and aftertaste.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sat Jan 19, 05:11:00 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Chuck: You know this is all well and good and I'm glad that you had a great time, but ... where is the fish-eye shot! ;)

 
At Wed Jan 23, 10:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a beautiful spot. Interesting photos, as always. (Cathy)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home