Thursday, November 17, 2011

Unusual Harbor Cruise...

The 148-year old Star of India sailed again last weekend in San Diego.

The iron-hulled beauty was at full sail during what used to be an annual event.

It has been 4 years since the last sailing of this floating maritime museum.

When I went onboard last summer, I heard rumors she might sail again this year.

Tied up at the dock, she has only a few sails unfurled so it's quite a sight to see her in full glory.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there for the actual sailing.

I received this photo in a daily newsletter I get online from my old days of working for the San Diego Union-Tribune.



In the 1960s my Mom came out from Charleston to visit.

She and my young son Chris made a tour of The Star.

Last summer, Chris was aboard again, with me, his wife and my 16-year old grandson.

In this interior picture I exaggerated the tilt of the ship for effect.

I mean, we were still safely at the dock.

Underway in the 1860s, I am sure the early travelers suffered through a lot of rough seas.

And many tedious days of calm when the wind power died down and the sails were slack.

Hmmm. I wonder if an iron-hull attracted lightning?


(Click the photos that I took to see more detail.)Thanks for coming aboard. Feel free to walk about the cabin.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home