Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Run Forest, Run !

My Photography Group has its monthly meeting tonight and I scrambled to select some photos to take with me.

We come up with an optional theme each time for the popular SHOW & TELL.

Tonight it's "Things Found In A Forest." You can bring 15 or so of your favorite shots but I try to include a few themed one too.

Yesterday I realized I hadn't foraged in a forest lately so I strolled around my yard instead. The red leaf sat alone among all the browns and green grass.

Yes, I removed all the other colors with Photoshop.

My large magnolia tree in the front yard had already bloomed with its beautiful - but brief - delicate white flowers.

But, deep in my "forest," I saw scaly growth on several limbs.

I believe it's called lichen.

Checking online, I see that's a combo of fungus & algae.

Looking down I saw another additon for tonight's presentation.

The cones were scattered amidst the large leaves.

I tweaked the picture a bit with Photoshop to add some detailed drama.

While we were growing up, my brothers and I would throw these at each other, pretending they were "hand grenades."Playing "WAR" during the 1940s seemed like the thing to do. Almost patriotic for my WWII Youngest Generation.

I also will share with the group my visit to the newest craft beer brewery that has popped up here.

What a fine addition by four enterprising young men.

Holy City
is on Dorchester Road between I-526 and I-26, tucked behind some warehouses.

The friendly Tasting Room is cozy and comfortable. I sampled small tastes of all four of the lastest offerings.

The Bowens Island Oyster Stout (ABV 5.5) was introduced only a few days ago and joins their Pilsner and the Pluff Mud Porter (ABV 5.0), a nice dark beer that's become popular around town.

I bought a jug of Hurricane Category 3 IPA(ABV 7.0) to celebrate the end of "H" Season.

Drink local, I say.


(Click on the photos for more detail). It's only been a few years since South Carolina allowed brewers to provide beers with more than 4.0 or 5.0 ABV (Alcohol By Volume) and Coast Brewing was the leader in persuading our lawmakers to make it legal to sit and sample a beer at the brewery. Thanks Jaime!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home