Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Almost To Omaha...

So I flew over to Kansas City to attend a wedding.

Not mine. My grandson.

He lives mid-Missouri in Columbia and I had some time to drive around KCMO before heading to his huge event.

Oddly enough, I spotted a few University of South Carolina t-shirts amidst big screen venues showing World Cup coverage. Hmm?

Duh, geography major. Just a little north was the baseball CWS, the College World Series in Omaha.

I really did not have enough time to drive up there but I saw the World War One Memorial sitting atop a hill overlooking downtown Kansas City.

The Crown Center Hotel at the world headquarters for Hallmark was nearby so I planned to pop in there too.


Great photo op - an indoor waterfall in the lobby.

Back in the 1970s I worked with the Convention & Bureau for KC and knew a lot of the familiar sights to see.

But many have changed since I left. And new ones have been developed.

I remembered the lyrics of "Goin' To Kansas City" as centering on 12th Street & Vine but a major jazz development is around 18th Street.

I parked and walked around and went into the Jazz Museum. Across the street was a full-size fiber glass cow painted on the side with a saxophone player and bright colors.

The plaque said it was honoring "18th & Bovine."And, yes, of course I had a Kansas City Strip Steak.

Here they just call 'em strip steaks.

(Click on the photos - twice - for fantastic detail. The Canon S90 rules. Thank you.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home