Monday, May 11, 2009

Younger Than B.B. King.....

This guy calls me "kid."

The main star Saturday at Freshfield Village, was Travis "Moonchild" Haddix.

He brought his 6-piece orchestra to the FREE 5th annual "Blues By The Sea" and showed everybody what the bluez is all about.

Travis,71, has worked in the Midwest most of his career but Shrimp City Slim lured him to our coast for a first-ever appearance down on Kiawah Island.

I think I have a shirt like that in the back of my closet.

The 2-8pm show opened with local picker Davis Coen who had formed a Trio this time.

He was followed by Bill Lupkin - on harp - with his Chicago Blues Coalition.

It was a Low Country debut also for this fantastic performer.

The Larry Garner Blues Band filled out the bill.

"Shrimp" sure knows how to pick 'em.

Did I mention the show was FREE? The lawn was packed with fans in folding chairs, kids running around and vendors offering fish tacos, juicy burgers and hot pizza.

Some of us sipped a beer. Or two.



Gary Erwin (Shrimp City himself) was wearing a t-shirt from his 1st annual blues offering at Kiawah...and so was I.

He did tell me he planned to have a shirt available for next year.

Meanwhile, I carry a Sharpie pen with me to these blues festivals and often ask performers to pen their thoughts on my back.

Or on my front.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home