Friday, July 05, 2013

My 4th of July Tradition continues....

So, if I'm in town for the 4th of July, I try to go see the North Charleston fireworks show.

Went to the first one they did in 2005 at the still not quite completed Riverfront Park.

My original plan was to stop first and have a beer - or two - at the Madra Rua Irish Pub on Montague near Park Circle.

Dang. It was closed for the holiday.

Aw, what the heck, I drove up Virginia Ave and followed the signs to the old Navy Base.

Parked and hopped on a shuttle bus.

On the bus I mentioned to someone how great a cold beer was going to taste and was told it was a family setting so NO alcohol was sold or allowed. Yikes.

The bus eventually stopped and now I was a long way from my car so I stayed and enjoyed the show.

In 2006, I tried again and was successful. The Rua was open, had my fish & chips - and a Guinness - and wandered out and walked half a block up to Virginia Avenue just as the first booms started.

Over the years, this routine became the norm. Sometimes I drink a Murphy's Irish Stout.

Had to change viewing spots after a few years though as  the trees grew taller.

My spot was at the end of Montague by the bar and the fireworks were nearly a half mile away.

The fiery picture above was taken last night and I'm pleased.

If there had been more light around me, then the crowd of adults and children - sitting on car hoods and folding chairs - would have made a nice setting for the show.

Behind the bar, on the former SMOKING side, I saw a photo of mine prominently displayed in a small green frame.

In Montreal a few years ago, I had seen that "sign" scrawled on a wall, followed the arrow and spent several delightful hours amongst a friendly crowd.

The bartender said people ask all the time if that wall and "ad" is nearby.

I had not been on that side for a long time but they recently banned smoking completely in the place so now I can sit wherever I wanted.

Hope it's still there next year.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

Thanks for stopping by on this long holiday weekend.

Our monsoon has finally ended.

Enjoy.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Fri Jul 05, 05:58:00 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Sounds like a great tradition. I was going to go out and take some photographs yesterday evening, but our monsoon continued. It rained by buckets, but the folks at Carowinds went on with the show. I could here the booms from my house. I looked out of the window, so the sky lit up, and the raindrops falling. They are having the show all week, so I'll probably go tonight, instead. They put on quite a show!

 
At Sun Jul 07, 09:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very good shot. Glad that you captured the moment. (Cathy)

 
At Sun Jul 07, 09:13:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Cathy, because you're Canadian, I'm not sure if you liked the fireworks picture or the Montreal shot. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home