Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Stepping Down..

So, six years after having my bathroom redone and tile installed, things are cracking up.

The flaws really started to appear within two years on steps that flexed just enough to break the tiles. It got worse.

Stepping down produces a lot of weight and stress.

And, over the years, I've added both. Poor downtrodden steps.

My first - and best - idea was to bring in a tile expert.

The fellow who had put tiles over a poorly-constructed step was not likely to be called back to repair this lapse.

Patrick, my new "restoration" guy, pointed out the stair had not been built to code.

He corrected that after carefully removing the offending tiles without creating havoc with the rest of the floor.

I never once considered doing this removal myself.

The new steps would be about equal in height. Before, they were shallow/steep.

I would have to re-learn how to step down. And up.

We also had decided that trying to match old tile would be quite a task.


Patrick has done a lot of restoration work in older homes. He stained wood to replace the busted tiles.

Now, it would be a solid stair. And a nice contrast to the light-colored tile.

This 7 x 7 foot space had been a small, tiny bedroom in the original 800 sq.ft house. I had had it expanded to a 7 x 10 foot space by removing a wall and installed a pretty fancy shower.

Now I had taken another step in the right direction.

(Click on the photos for more detail.)

If you are considering a similar project - or anything involving tile, stairs, flying bugs or wood - I'd recommend Patrick Peck.

Standing on my deck, he pointed out a newly drilled perfect circle hole in a railing.

A small pile of fresh sawdust lay below it.

"That's a carpenter bee." he said. "I can tell you how to get rid of them."

And, he did.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wed Mar 28, 09:24:00 AM , Blogger Rick said...

Nice job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home