Friday, December 16, 2011

Getting A Needed Trim...

Heard a loud and familiar sound the other morning.

Really noisy. It kept going. Non-stop.

Sounded like a wood chipper. Remember the movie "FARGO?"

Yep, It was a branch grinder. A really large one.

The contract crew fromSCE&G had come to my street to clear overhead wires,

Guess putting them underground was not an option.

Naturally I walked out with my camera to see the before and after.

I'm sure they get a lot of people standing around with cameras.

These guys really know what they're doing.

The guy in the cherry-picker bucket started above the heavy growth.

The wires soon appeared as he cleared out the prescribed areas.

The fellow on the ground who was tossing cut branches into the chipper said it had been about 6-7 years since this street had been pruned.


I've read complaints about excessive cutting or the trimming resulting in "ugly" trees.

I have no problem with what they did.

They're trying to help me not lose power during a storm.

I appreciate that. A lot.

Sitting in the dark, either too hot or too cold, is not pleasant.

Hey, trees grow back.

(Click on the pictures to see more details.)

I hope these fellows get positive feedback on what they do. The heavy snow 2 years ago - thankfully very brief - sure made branches sag VERY low.

Luckily outages were rare in my neighborhood.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Dec 16, 01:20:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

Wrote about this the other day. The Gentleman's Agreement the trimmers have with SCE&G.

 
At Mon Dec 19, 02:53:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Saw an item in the Post and Courier today on the Op-Ed page encouraging the trimmers to "Spare that tree" and not be extreme. Popular topic!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home