Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Oldies and goldies....or just moldies?

In the ongoing task of "cleaning out" my Dad's old work shop at the house, I came across some of his records.

Not business paper files and receipts but actual music records. That you play on a machine. A record player. That you wound up.

Thick black 78rpms. A veritable "stax of wax."

But these were before vinyl or plastic.

And after "wax" cylinders.

These - according to the internet - are probably made of lateral-cut shellac material. Or perhaps Condensite (early Bakelite).

One label is the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company and I know that name from billiard tables and bowling balls. Yeah, these records feel like old bowling balls. A few are recorded on just one side.

My sound system turntable doesn't get much action these days and when I just checked, I see it will play 331/3 and 45 but there was no setting for 78rpm.

Actually, I'm really curious about that 6" Record Blank that's dated December 21,1930. It was a home recording.

Yikes ..I can't envision the size of THAT portable party machine!

Probably larger than a keraoke machine.

(The Victor image was found on the internet. I took the other photo.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tue May 11, 03:16:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I believe I might invest in that software. Hope I can figure it out.

 
At Thu May 13, 08:13:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Oh. You meant the software mentioned in the PREVIOUS posting!

Well, sure..I was able to make it work. Go for it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home