Monday, May 28, 2018

A musical interlude...

We interrupt this recap of my Western Trek extended birthday celebration with family.

With a musical note.

It's the second night of Charleston's Spoleto, the city's 41st  annual salute to the arts and music.

Jon Batiste, leader of the Stay Human band, performed outdoors Friday and Saturday night on the campus of the College of Charleston.

I was there on Saturday, a terrific low-humidity, balmy night although an approaching tropical storm had threatened to make the show move indoors.

Jon leads his band on the CBS Late Show With Stephen Colbert.  Unbeknown to most of the audience, Jon's boss Colbert was in the crowd with us.

Colbert is a Charleston native who spends a lot of his free time here in the Holy City

The band this evening was the Dap-Kings, on their third outing with the talented young New Orleans native.

It was the first time I had seen the Dap-Kings without Sharon Jones, it's dynamic and VERY animated leader who sadly died recently.

I did not bring my camera and depended instead on my cell phone camera to capture some of the melodic action.

Times like this, I do miss the telephoto lens on my "real" camera. But, I settled in for an enjoyable show that was about 20 minutes longer than expected.

As usual for concerts here at the Cistern Yard, the sound was precise and the setting beautifully lit.

Even the folding seats seemed more comfortable.

Jon exhorted the audience to stand and dance.

"We don't play music like this for a crowd that's sitting down."

We stood. We clapped in rhythm. We sang along.  And, I am sure, some were dancing.

(Click on the photos and links for more details.) 

I hope many of you were there Saturday or the night before. Here is the City Paper review of the Friday show.

Support live music!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home