Saturday, May 12, 2012

I got busted yesterday....

No, not for taking pictures.

This was the second time I've seen Taj Mahal at the Pour House.

This time I worked my way down front.

Really close.

The way I used to do when he played the Music Hall downtown.

There everyone was on their feet so you really could NOT stay in a seat and see anything.

But I don't use flash anyway in music venues.And there's no seating at the PoHo.

So I was good. No security and certainly no police.

A few days ago, an alert officer came into my back yard to discuss my "code violation."

"Huh?" I yelped in surprise when he said I was in trouble with the law in Hanahan.

I glanced at my burn barrel, with cardboard boxes ready to be set on fire on a non-windy day. He had no problem with that.

"You're breaking Code chp 18-27," he said with a suddenly grim face.

I responded with another "Huh?" and added "what's that?"

He now was holding a thick metal rectangular box and was writing on a form.

He said "You have grass and/or weeds over 12" tall. They MUST be cut."

I did not make any comments about the rough and dangerous job it is to be a police officer.

I did not mention that my daughter, a detective with a police department in California, had never mentioned code enforcement nor parking meters as an odious part of her work shift.

For a change I kept quiet.

I was guilty.

My lawnmower was not working and no young guys had come to my door offering to cut my lawn.

My bad.

The Code Enforcement Officer told me I had 10 days to correct the problem or a summons to appear in court would be issued.

Instead of delaying and possibly being hauled into court, I plugged in my weed eater and took a few minutes to knock down the few inches of grass.

He said the offensive problem was only in the front yard but I took care of the back yard too.

Can't be too careful.

(Click on the pictures for more details.)

These are old file photos showing a police car in my driveway a few years ago, a teenager - now probably 21 - who has done yard work in the past and a view of my front yard one morning a few months ago.

I did NOT whip out my camera and take any pictures of the officer yesterday. With or without flash.

Yikes. "Book him, Dano!"

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Sat May 12, 09:31:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Wow....do you live in a subdivision? That is a bit extreme. There was an article in the City Paper this week about Home Owners Ass doing that kind of monitoring.

 
At Sun May 13, 07:25:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

You're real life gangsta! LOL - HOAs are pain the ass! Glad that you were able to get the grass cut and not get hauled into court. :)

 
At Tue May 29, 02:39:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

A few days later, I had a small engine repair guy come by and fix my riding mower. (Actually he was 6 feet tall.)

Too bad,teenagers, you lost your money cow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home