Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Safe Haven.

When I was going to school in the 1950s, there was a pervading fear of Russia launching an atomic attack.

Some people dug themselves Bomb Shelters in the back yard.

Made you want to be friends with THOSE people!

None of my neighbors in Ansonborough had such a shelter. Or, at least, didn't brag that they did.

Everybody I knew there rented and landlords didn't supply such safe places.

The rest of us practiced dropping to the floor and crawling beneath our desks.

My cat had a hiding spot behind the couch where he felt safe and protected when threatened.

Running under the bed, his tail would stick out but at least he felt he was out of sight.

I saw that wide open Vault in a Columbia hotel.

It formerly was a bank (well, Duh!) and now there was a bar behind that steel chamber.

Make good use of what you have to work with, I say.

Or, you could build something so secure and safe that you could defy God Himself to do it damage.

Well, we all know how THAT turned out don't we.

Things were not so shipshape after all.

I'm not quite ready to buy a new car but some of the ads intrigue me.

Big emphasis on safety as well as mpg.

Air bags of course in the front seats - and soon in the back as well - but also safety "side curtains" in case you get T-Boned in a wreck.

Saw an item the other day about an inflatable seat belt. It swells up when there is a sharp contact or sudden stop.

The cars in the '50s didn't have head rests or seat belts.

We were more worried about the Soviets.

(Click TWICE on the photos for more detail. At my house cats still scamper behind the couch or under my bed.) Thanks for reading. Come again. And...be safe out there.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home