Thursday, March 31, 2011

Me in Space..... Mission Accomplished!

June, 2010 is when I signed up with NASA to be on the last flight of a space shuttle.

I was aboard DISCOVERY on its last historic mission.

Well, not exactly all of me was "on board."

Just my face.

Along with 27,000 others who submitted photos to NASA to be part of the "Face In Space" program.

More than 10,000 were in the U.S. while 500 were in Spain.

And, reports NASA, one was in Cambodia?

We wanted our photo to be "out of this world."

I'm sure most were young students, encouraged to take part by their Science or homeroom teacher.

Me? I'm just a space nut who had watched the Discovery launch on August 30, 1984.

I was working for the Florida Division of Tourism.

I arrived before dawn at the Kennedy Space Center to watch what was then simply called 41D.

The final launch date was originally set for September 16, 2010.

We "space faces" were told we could request an official NASA certificate on September 25, 2010.

The flight was delayed until this month and flew flawlessly into history.

The oldest shuttle's next stop is Washington at the Smithsonian.

I remembered today to go look for my space credentials.


(Clicking on the pictures will show a larger image and you'll be able to read the document. I have no idea why I suddenly thought of this today. Glad I did find my Face place in the Space race. Ouch.) Thanks for dropping in.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home