Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My Dad and This Car...


The photo is a reminder that I was an active photographer during my days at Bishop England High School.

Here the coach is making sure I am all set before he has his football players stop practice to gather on the bleachers for a team photo.

But, please notice my clunker car. THAT is what this is all about.

About a year later I was through boot camp at Parris Island and stationed up at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Before this car finally died, I tried driving it back and forth when I had some time off and could come down to Charleston. It was an iffy driving situation at best.

Within a 3-week period I headed down to Charleston twice and each time, the cursed car just stopped somewhere this side of Georgetown.

Twice my dad hopped into his trusty, dependable pickup truck, grabbed a tow rope and came to my rescue.

Both times we stopped for coffee and a slice of pie at the same roadside gas station and, the second time, my Dad proudly mentioned to the owner that I was his son, a Marine stationed at Lejeune.

The owner looked out at my car being towed behind the pickup and said "Gonna let him try it by himself soon?"

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thu Feb 22, 05:30:00 AM , Blogger Heather Solos said...

That's just priceless.

 
At Thu Feb 22, 10:51:00 AM , Blogger chucker said...

Yeah, thanks. It's a cute TRUE story but when I sent it to Reader's Digest they did not respond at all.

 
At Thu Feb 22, 05:11:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home