Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Car Bombing Incident



This evening I wandered upstairs at Mellow Mushroom, sat at the bar and asked for a Boddingtons. Sorry, the cheerful barkeep replied, won't have any for a few more days...when the truck arrives with the next delivery.

He also didn't have any Speckled Hen or Tetleys but did suggest an Australian creamy ale I had never tried and, while it looked murky, it went down well.

He was quite busy and I watched him filling something from containers on the back bar and asked what it was. L.I.T. he answered then brought over a shot for me to try. I LIKED the taste of Tea from Long Island and explained I had quit liquor years ago and now merely sipped beer. He opined I was missing a lot.

About half way through my Aussie ale he came back to say he had found a few cans of Boddingtons and was chilling one down for me. I thanked him.

He began making four drinks that looked like chocolate milk shakes and again, I inquired what it was. He pointed down the bar and said the group was having Car Bombs. He was surprised that I didn't seem to know about them since I enjoyed English and Irish beers.

My glass was empty so he brought the familiar tall yellow can of Boddingtons and poured it into a fresh pint glass. "I covered the can in ice and sprinkled salt over it to make it colder quicker," he commented. It was ready to drink and tasted perfect.

The young bartender then announced that the group down the bar had ordered me a Car Bomb so I could experience it:

Ingredients
3/4 pint Guinness® stout
1/2 shot Bailey's® Irish cream
1/2 shot Jameson® Irish whiskey

Add the Bailey's and Jameson to a shot glass, layering the Bailey's on the bottom. Pour the Guinness into a pint glass or beer mug 3/4 of the way full and let settle. Drop the shot glass into the Guinness and chug. If you don't drink it fast enough it will curdle and increasingly taste worse.


He did all that and then, with a cheery wave and a raised toast to my new buddies, I dropped the shot glass into the beer mug and chugged down this adult milk shake. A warm feeling diffused through me as some liquid that had overflowed on the bar was quickly wiped with napkins.

"Man, this was a great taste."

I had dinner and later drove home pleased with the experiment. Wonder if they would consider changing the name to Irish Friendship.

2 Comments:

At Sat Dec 16, 09:07:00 PM , Blogger painter in hiding said...

Blogger is acting strange...

anyways

I am a guiness girl to my very core. I currently hold the record in my circle for the most car bombs in one sitting, it is currently at eight, I downed one more than one of charleston city's finest who is about twice my size. He was not happy about getting beat by a girl, but that is another story. And while I do not reccommend shooting such a fine libation at Guinness, it still is by far my favorite shot. Glad you got to partake. Did you get it down before the curtiling?
well cheers friend

 
At Thu Dec 21, 01:46:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Hi "Painter."

Downing most car bombs ...in what time frame? 8 within an hour could cause broken bones in one's foot!

Yes, I was warned about the taste quickly getting worse so I chugged intelligently.

Thanks for the support. Get well soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home