Sunday, December 10, 2006

Getting Carried Away...

Atlanta is only a 5 hour drive so going over for TWO touring band concerts, visiting a Presidential Library, seeing the World's Largest Aquarium and enjoying some different fine dining seemed like a good idea. And of course it WAS.

I'm older and wiser so obviously that is NOT me but someone much younger and much bolder being held aloft at the Tenacious D concert.

Jack Black and Kyle Gass drew about 5,000 dedicated fans as they wrapped up their national tour Tuesday night at Gwinnett Center, about 25 miles from downtown.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band are touring again after a 10 year absence on the road and they filled the Phillips Arena on a frosty Thursday evening.

Seger played Charleston on his last tour a decade ago and is due here in January so plan to get your tickets ASAP.


The Atlanta Aquarium opened about a year ago and has Beluga Whales and huge sharks and more Stingrays than our hockey club has players.

There's a long glass tunnel hallway in one of the five sections where the fish swim above you and on both sides so you almost feel immersed.

The Carter Library reminded me of my visits to the Truman Library in Independence, MO. Both libraries have replicas of their Oval office and both have the familiar sign on the desk "The Buck Stops Here."

I did not see President Carter this trip but he and I met years ago when the President stopped in Hannibal, Missouri and I was on hand to give him and Amy some tourism folders and a coffee table book about the "Show Me" State.

A few years ago I sent this photo to Atlanta and he signed it and had it sent back. I am the one with white hair.



I'll add some more pictures later and suggest you check out the new Aquarium and the Carter Center on your next trip to Atlanta.

And, don't miss the opportunity to see and enjoy Bob Seger on January 9 at the North Charleston Coliseum. It's a GREAT show.

2 Comments:

At Mon Dec 11, 05:16:00 AM , Blogger Vera said...

I enjoyed seeing President Carter live on C-Span last weekend, and I really I have make it to the Carter Center one of these days.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 07:30:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The meet-up was fun. Some bloggers (JAZ, Vera,and Geoff) all took pictures, but no one has posted them.

We had about 13 people show up and we ate, drank, and mingled for a couple of hours. We, OK I, are/am starting to look for ideas for a January meet-up. I was thinking a North Area location would be fair since we've done WA, MP, and downtown.

Input?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home