Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"...

Last night I attended a TRIBUTE by local musicians at the downtown main library auditorium..

It honored the 10th anniversary of George Harrison's death.

George often was called "The Quiet Beatle" but his musical legacy continues and grows a decade later

Didn't get the names of the performers but a few I've seen playing around town.

Here the V-Tones showcased "Noodle McDoodle" on kazoo. Please note it's an ELECTRIC kazoo. Nice sound and appropriate to the song.

About 30 players were there and "Gently Weeps" was played three times that evening.

There was an impromptu duo who offered a tender treat.

They had met that night at the library and found they both planned on doing the same song.

They practiced together in the hallway and came out and played it together.

The finale for the hour and a half show was six musicians on stage as we all sang along on "My Sweet Lord."


During the show in the 200-seat auditorium, several library patrons had ducked their heads in.

Silence was not strictly observed that night.

(Click on the photo for more details.) There should be a link to 5 of George's greatest hits.

Hope they all are familiar to you.

I saw the "Fab Four" in concert in the 1960s in San Diego.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Fri Dec 02, 12:10:00 AM , Anonymous Kevin Crothers said...

Nice shots, Chuck.

Off the top of my head, the bands/performers were:
House band: Four Old Fat Guys
Jeremy and Sheila Russell
Paul Girgenti
Avi Jacob
Matt Meis
Lucas Horan
Dave Landeo
Brad Surovec (played duo with Dave)
A Fragile Tomorrow
Ryan Bailey and Cumberland Belle
Frank Royster and band
The V-Tones
Dave Ellis of The Explorers Club sang the finale of My Sweet Lord with the house band


The video of the show will be up soon at ccpl.org/media

 
At Wed Dec 07, 01:23:00 PM , Blogger Paul G said...

Thank you, Chuck for taking such wonderful pictures of the George Harrison Tribute. Kevin and his team did a great job.

My name is Paul Girgenti. I was the 2nd performer in the George Harrison Tribute. I would love to see the pictures of me performing that night. I am the big guy with the moustache and goatee (bald). My email address is mrgee1959@gmail.com.

Thank you again.

Paul G

 
At Sun Dec 18, 09:09:00 PM , Anonymous Kevin Crothers said...

Videos of each performer from the show are available on Youtube at youtube.com/ccplmedia.
K

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home