Friday, August 13, 2010

A Shirt I REALLY Liked....

I'm about 16 years old in this photo.

Sophomore in high school at Bishop England so it's probably 1954 or 1955.

This was taken downtown on the peninsula in Ansonborough back when the area had just about "bottomed out."

We - and all my friends in the neighborhood - were renters.

Maybe one family owned their home but the rest of us had landlords.

Cousin Leslie, visiting down from Camden, snapped a picture and, recently, she came across it and sent me a print.

I actually do remember that shirt.

Looking at the scene, I wondered if I could take a picture from the exact same spot.

So, here it is 55 years later.

A friend from Chicago is a good photographer so I challenged him.

Holding the original picture and his camera, he had me move closer, step back, move right, little to the left....hold it. Then he snapped the shutter.

Of course it's digital now instead of Kodak film.

And the tall palm tree is new. And the buildings are cleaned up, painted and very expensive.

None of my friends still live in the borough. I live in Hanahan.


My photographer buddy Ron is also very good at manipulating pictures so I asked if it were possible to copy-and-paste so I appear to be wearing the same shirt.

He did a great job!

My cousin Leslie was impressed that I still had that shirt.

[Of course Photoshop was used...or maybe Ron did it with WIMP.]

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Fri Aug 13, 09:02:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Ha! That is great! House looks much the same but you have changed just a bit :)

 
At Fri Aug 13, 10:44:00 PM , Blogger Eyebee said...

I always enjoy seeing these 'then and now' shots. Very interesting, Chuck.

 
At Sat Aug 14, 06:04:00 AM , Blogger Haddock said...

HA ha .....that laugh, 55 years has not made a difference.

 
At Wed Aug 18, 02:40:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, Leslie and I were both smitten with you when we were 10 years old and she took that picture. You look just like I remember you - very handsome! Suzie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home