Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What was said / What was heard.....

It's a shame there's no photo of an unusual Folly Beach dining experience that I had about 12 years ago. No camera was handy when the meal was eventually served.

This classic internet picture of Center Street dates back a few more years than that but it's all I could find.

The restaurant (unnamed and non existent now) had a great beach view from its deck and after enjoying a pleasant sunny afternoon, my date and I went inside for dinner.

I don't remember the actual meal - in light of what happened - but I assume it was either fish or something else from the sea fried or baked, served with potatoes. I do know she asked for Irish coffee with the meal and everyone said "no problem."

She then quietly asked the very young waiter to please serve the Bailey's on the side. He said "sure" and took off for the kitchen.

He was gone a long time. He had disappeared but the beer was cold and the outing was fun.

We chatted with other diners, talked about the beautiful day at the beach and gradually became quiet and concerned about WHEN would we ever eat?

About that moment the flushed waiter finally returns, plates are placed and - with a flourish and genuine pride - he proudly points to the green bay leaves that have been carefully placed around the edge of each plate.

The owner and Chef wandered out to see why bay leaves had to be found and rushed into use. We scratched our heads when they asked and had no answer.

The date sipped her coffee and said "Where's the Bailey's to add to the coffee?

Slowly we all caught on...Bay-Ley's Irish whiskey for the coffee. On the side.



Someone rushed to the bar and brought over a bottle.

(Click on the picture of the bar at Blu's for more details. Usually photos found on the internet do not enlarge. Well, shots I take DO. Usually.) Thanks for stopping by to hear my little story.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thu Nov 26, 09:12:00 AM , Blogger chucker said...

Hmm. I'm not sure what she said. Or what I should hear.

 
At Fri Nov 27, 04:37:00 AM , Anonymous Elvin said...

A waiter had asked a niece if she wanted "super" salad. My niece replied that she only wanted a small salad, not a big serving. i did not want to butt in; I just wanted to enjoy hearing the confusion between the two. After a few more exchanges of confusing questions and clarifications, my niece finally figured out that the waiter was asking her if she wanted the soup or salad.

 
At Fri Nov 27, 01:26:00 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Hi There, Great read. THanks for being there. You have some very interesting items up here and I'm snooping all of them. THanks, Keri

www.samwich365.com

 
At Sun Nov 29, 12:54:00 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Hello Chucker. Thanks for stopping in on me at www.samwich365.com. As a matter of fact, I lived in Hawaii for many, many years. What's cooking this weekend for you? Can't wait to find out.

Keri/Sam
www.samwich365.com

 
At Mon Nov 30, 09:42:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a confusing conversation, a long time ago, about a bay candle, which was actually a reference to the brake handle.
Kathy S.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home