Friday, November 27, 2009

Everything changes...

I grew up downtown on the peninsula in the area called Ansonborough.

The house is on Meeting at Society Street in the "Old" area where my boyhood friends and I were tenants.

Maybe one or two families owned their homes, but mainly, we all were renting back then in the 1950s.

My two brothers and I went to grade school at St. Joseph's around the corner on Anson Street, and then walked up to Broad and Queen Streets to attend Cathedral Grammar school.

We all three graduated from Bishop England high school - walking in the other direction - on Calhoun Street.

All of those schools are gone now.

The Anson Street building is still there but is no longer a school. The others have been torn down.

I passed my old house the other day at the corner of Meeting Street and apparently it's awaiting BAR approval of paint samples displayed on the front and sides.

It also is no longer 270 Meeting Street. The address has been changed to Society Street.

We seldom used the front door so I'm glad the back entrance is now officially recognized.

Even by the mailman..

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Mon Nov 30, 12:31:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Change is all around us. Sometimes when I learn that special places from long ago are no longer around, I get a funny but sad feeling.

Before The Dawg died earlier this year, we went to Savannah and he decided to show me the house he grew up in. We went there but the place was now a Chick-fil-A.

 
At Tue Dec 01, 08:05:00 AM , Blogger chucker said...

I told someone about the room my brother and I shared: it had a door at each end and one off the side.

"Three doors? You were living in a hallway."

Thinking back...he was right. Bunk beds but definitely a hallway.

No wonder I value privacy.

 
At Sat Dec 05, 07:23:00 PM , Anonymous angie said...

Hey Chuck, I love your blog. Thanks for the link on Lowcountry Bloggers.

 
At Tue Jan 12, 12:21:00 PM , Blogger Windviel said...

Chuck, keep the Underwood. Don't sell your soul to style, but hold the line on this one. John Updike pounded many a wonderful novel on his old Royal manual typewriter. You're an analog Marine dug in on Digital territory. To quote Uncle Joe, " Not one step backward ".

 
At Tue Jan 12, 01:21:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Hey Mustang...People looking at this entry will not understand your comment about the Underwood!

But I do. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home