Saturday, October 03, 2009

Right Place at the Right Time....


The Guinness people declared a 2009 worldwide celebration in honor of its 250th anniversary.

On September 24, one was asked to raise a toast on Arthur's Day.

Happily, I was in Dublin.

Because Guinness requires two pours to be perfect, just before the 17:59 event, bartenders prepared a small backlog of "first pours."

Guinness was started in Dublin, Ireland and is considered the "National Beer."

It was dumb luck that my travels had me in Dublin during this particular week. What a fortunate circumstance!

A cozy laid back Pub was our choice and seats at the bar were readily available an hour before the toast.

When Arthur Guinness was saluted, the place was packed four-deep!


A few days later, we were first in line to tour the actual Guinness brewery where we were treated to taste a 10-day old beer sample right where it had been created.

(Ten days was the minimum "aging" before it could be sampled.)

Another stop permitted you to actually pour your own pint. That's when I saw that pulling the tap forward produces the nitrogen gas/beer mixture of "The Black Stuff."

Then you should wait 120-130 seconds for the second pour - beer only - by pushing the tap back. Two steps to a perfect Guinness.

The easy part is drinking it.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sat Oct 03, 04:37:00 PM , Blogger Steve: The Lightning Man said...

It's an acquired taste, but once you acquire it, there's nothing quite like it!

 
At Sun Oct 04, 12:58:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, I'm envious. I've always wanted to visit Ireland.

 
At Sun Oct 04, 03:05:00 AM , Blogger Elvin said...

I am jealous. I would love to visit Dublin again. I had my fill of beer at Munich's Oktoberfest last Thursday.

 
At Wed Apr 06, 04:08:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Oh, I stand corrected. In Ireland, one cannot visit an actual brewery. This was the Guinness STOREHOUSE, next door to where the beer is made. Either way, you exit through the Gift Shop.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home