Thursday, July 06, 2006

New meaning for "Throwing a shower"

Today a plumber recommended by my faithful Handyman showed up on time - with his wife as a helper - and in less than a day, completely re-piped my 50 year old plumbing system from 1/2 inch to 3/4. They hooked up the 3" drain for the massive new 4' x 5' shower project, brought water to the waiting valves for the six showerheads, took out (and hauled away) the old 40 gallon tank water heater and tied everything into my NEW Rennai tankless water heaters.

A switch was flipped and continuous hot water flowed for the first time through the revamped system. But, as soon as you turn off the tap....the hot water stops. Then it waits patiently to be called on again. No tank of water being reheated over and over all day and night. They say it will pay for itself in energy savings...if I live to be 175 years old.

Last week I bought all the "trim", the chrome shiny handles and thermo-mixer and parts that will be seen against the tile. There will be TWO sets of adjustable body sprays, an 8" rain shower centered above which creates gentle raindrops falling on my head and a hand-held shower that is self-cleaning and adjustable from fine spray to pounding massage.

The people who will do the tile work are coming by later tonight to show me marble samples. They are due to start around the 17th and anticipate about 3 days to completion. Whew.

As they say on the tv show SCRUBS, what did we learn today?

IF you decide to use a general contractor, get one that your friends or someone you trust has used. Get references and talk with his/her former (hopefully happy) clients and PAY NO MONEY in advance. The good ones will take care of ALL the details, secure the required permits, hire qualified and dependable licensed craftsmen, proceed in a timely manner and help you avoid costly missteps. The lousy ones seem to convince me to hire them and sign on the dotted line. Make sure the contract protects YOU and not just the contractor.

My project stretches back to April 20 when my shower/tub was ripped out but now I see a light at the end of the shower stall.

I also see lawyers in my future - and small claims court - but that's another story.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tue Jul 18, 05:04:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How do you like your new water heater? We're considering it, if we build or need a new one.

 
At Tue Jul 18, 05:20:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

As I said, in theory it will pay for itself. It has worked GREAT.

I am having a shower built with 6 heads and, doing the math, one tankless heather would be marginal so I have two.

There is an interconnect device so the first time used, the one of the left lights up. Next time, the right one starts out. Helps them wear evenly I guess.

Make sure you calculate so you know if one will do it. Good luck!

 
At Wed Jul 19, 04:50:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, it's down the road a bit, but it doesn't stop us from talking about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home