Saturday, June 17, 2006

Hey...People actually read this stuff!


Several months ago when I posted my first blog message, I had no idea that soon my comments would be read by people in 22 states...and the District of Columbia.

My "tracking program" also tells me that since I have been doing this, people from Canada, France, Ireland, Japan, The Philippines, Serbia, South Africa, Spain and Switzerland have read about the Piggly Wiggly logo I saw way up in New York City, my family's unusual connection with the Old Cooper River Bridge, my first (and only) landing on an aircraft carrier that recently sank in 37 minutes and my adventures as a Marine Corps and newspaper photographer.

My blog readers soon will learn that I know how to land the Goodyear blimp in an emergency, that I hung out daily for four months with Charles Manson (Monday through Friday, except holidays) and I plunked down $950 for an enjoyable 30 day AMTRAK round trip ....to Charleston.

Think about it. It was round trip, get it?

A year ago I rode the rails up through DC and NYC to Montreal where for 5 days I tried to remember my college French then trained down to Toronto to board The Canadian< for a 3 1/2 day mini-"Orient Express" trip across the Canadian Prairie, over their version of the Rocky Mountains and into Vancouver in British Columbia.

Back in the States again I reboarded AMTRAK in Seattle and headed south, stopping to spend time with my daughter in San Francisco, a son in San Diego and - backtracking - 4 days in Denver with my younger daughter. "Dad, I'm exhausted! We've done more sightseeing in 4 days than I have done in 4 years. Good Lord, Pike's Peak - Got Oxygen?"

I look forward to more blogging and more sharing of experiences. I read the other Lowcountry sites and enjoy being part of an exciting and interesting group of local people.

The Block Party, er, the BLOG party, last month was a great opportunity to meet some of the people behind the posts: the Mustang guy, the bloke from London who likes Whole Foods and our candy bars, the Knitting Lady Who Was Always Knitting and the "walk this Way" person with a camera, among others.

Years ago when I was a photographer for the Union-Tribune in San Diego, a reporter and I were sent to interview a man - he was born before the Wright Brothers invented powered flight - whose son was going to walk on the moon. So much in the span of just one lifetime.

That's kind of how I feel about blogging. Indeed we live in interesting times. Wow.

1 Comments:

At Mon Jun 19, 08:17:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do indeed, live in interesting times!
Sounds like a grand train ride.
Walk this Way Person :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home