Saturday, August 13, 2016

"Messy New Orleans Jazz..."

 Went to the Sparrow in Park Circle a few night ago to see a "messy" band.

Stu Dias, the leader of Soggy Po'Boys, plays guitar with a passion and a voice to match.

Described as an Octet, I counted only 7 onstage, but I don't know how any movement, rhythm, or sound could possibly be missing.

Well, maybe a roving harp player and I don't mean a tiny harmonica.

A solid New Orleans jazz band that was formed in 2012.

The 'horn section" was especially active, ably backed by keys, drums, and an energetic upright bass.

The crowd was pleased there was no cover (really?) so when the tip jar was passed around, it was heavy with appreciation.

I salute the Sparrow for its delightful array of music and events.

It, the Mill and Madra Rua are basically in my neighborhood.

This makes a welcome change from heading downtown or to West Ashley and the Pour House.

The leader Stu told me they had just played a set at the Wednesday night series up at Awendaw Green.

They still had LOTS of energy and gave us quite a show.

A few days ago they played in Washington, DC, and worked their way down through Asheville to bring their messy Soggy Po'Boys show to the Lowcountry.

Kep an eye on the Sparrow when you're planning a night out. Lots of good surprises there. And - no smoking.

(Click on the photos and links for more details.)

Yes, I will get back to my vacation photos but there's a lot going on!

We'll always have Paris.








Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home