Friday, February 26, 2016

OK, the 2-week diet has ended.....


In the spirit of two weeks of strict dieting, I ordered a side of broccoli with my meal.

Hyman's was not crowded on a Thursday evening.

Did not have to wait long for my crispy (that's fried)  flounder.

I gave away one of the hush puppies.

And had a tall glass of water. No lemon.

I was on my way to my second evening at the newly-remodeled Gaillard Center to see a stand-up comic who was new to me.

David Cross was a delight as Dr. Tobias Funke, on the tv show "Arrested Development" so I knew he could play a funny, off-beat character.

The usual merchandising table where performers offer CDs, t-shirts, etc. was missing at the Gaillard but a crowd formed in front of the Mr. Cross "Ask me anything" electronic greeter.

I stepped forward and spoke into the mic but the responses were on a pre-recorded loop so it really didn't matter what I said.

He made funny comments and had the crowd smiling even before we entered, heading to our seats.

It also prepared me to see him with a very full beard.

He lives in Atlanta and said this was his first comedy tour in 6 years and it had been interesting so far. David told us he had just heard he was the very first stand-up comic to appear in the renovated theater and he promised to properly inaugurate the "virginal" stage.

And he did.

It surely was a night we all would remember.

Well, not all, some got offended and walked out. I stuck around to the end to make sure I could take a picture of him on the stage he had just deflowered.

Here's a side-note if you have not been to the Gaillard Center yet.

To take a beverage into the theater, it has to be in the special carbon fiber beer cup or wine glass.

Each had a plastic lid, sort of like a child's "Sippy Cup." You pay $2 for the cup but you are encouraged to keep it and bring it along next time and save the $2.

Not sure if "encouraged" is the right word. Our bartender used the cups we brought, filled them with beer and made sure the lid was on tight securely so there would be no spillage.

At a Broadway theater last year in NYC, I saw these cups for the first time and refills were $2 less.

Yes, I DID have one beer at the the David Cross show. The 2-week diet had ended.

(Click on the photos and links for more details.)

Hope you enjoyed his performance.


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sat Feb 27, 07:25:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Ahhhhh, Crispy Flounder - My favorite. I keep saying that I will get something different each time that I go to Hyman's ... I've yet to follow through on that statement. :) Maybe next time, but I sincerely doubt it! :D

 
At Sat Feb 27, 04:12:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

You'll notice I skipped the fries - and had no alcohol - I was SO ready for the crispy critter!

 
At Sun Feb 28, 05:59:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

You put on a good "show" with the broccoli. :)

 
At Tue Feb 06, 05:00:00 AM , Blogger hannahbaker560 said...

The writer understand better the mind of people what they want to learn through their writing therefore this article is outstanding. Thanks!!! For-Knees

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home