Friday, January 29, 2016

One of the Zs...

I had front row seats at the Performing Arts Center when I first saw ZZ Top in concert in 2008.

Took some amazing close-up photos of the two bearded guys.

Guitarist Billy Gibbons is the one with the reddish long beard.
Dusty Hill plays bass and the drummer, who has no facial hair, is named Frank Beard.

The three had been together more than 40 years and, today, still are. Billy wanted to experiment  with a tour that included a stop in Havana, Cuba.

Wednesday night at the Charleston Music Hall (CMH) I enjoyed the solo tour by Billy Gibbons and the BFG's.

I wished he had taken off his hat so I could see his face that was in shadow.

Bob Dylan did something similar with his hat so guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Two - not just one - ladies on drums. Nice.
Different percussion sounds from each.

Piano on one side of the stage and an organ on the other.

A large tilted mirror was positioned behind and above each player.

This gave us an excellent view of their hands as they ran up and down the multiple keyboards.

Had seen a similar mirror set-up like this at Pat O'brien's dueling pianos in New Orleans many years ago.

This touch adds a nice element to the entertainment.

Billy was scheduled to play in Charleston back in November but had to postpone it due to illness.

Had a lot of fun "enhancing" this shot of the opening band Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown.

They opened right on time and I think all the sound levels were cranked up to 11 or 12!

No problem. I always/usually have my professional earplugs with me.

And, this time, there was no NYC cabaret singer comic  trying to climb onto my lab.

I think she realized I had a good sense of humor.

When she invited a much younger man to join her onstage for the finale, my buddy said she had told me I didn't have enough bone mass.

At my age, my strong point seems to be sitting comfortably in a plush seat, enjoying music being created and giving strong applause.

(Click on the photos and links for more details.)

I hope you get out and support live music. That helps convince performers to come to Charleston. Yay!




Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home