Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"Nailed it....."

While in Massachusetts, I had probably the freshest lobster ever in my life.

Actually, right at the very tip of Cape Cod in P-Town. (Provincetown.)

Got a lobster roll for an early lunch when I stepped off the ferryboat from Boston.

Had another meal-on-a-roll just before re-boarding the ferry that evening.

Pricey, even there in the Lobster hotbed. Well, Maine may raise an eyebrow at that claim. I'll let the New England states defend their claims.

Avoided a long trip up north the other night when I ordered a Lobster roll from Chris York in West Ashley.

He's the owner of The Immortal Lobster food truck that was parked just outside the Tradesman Brewery on a recent rather brisk Saturday night.

The choices were the "traditional" Maine version which is buttered lobster on a toasted roll. Connecticut-style includes mayonnaise. Or, maybe it's the other way around.

First time inside at the Tradesman Brewing Company, just off Folly Road, near Maybank Hwy. at 1639 Tatum Street.

The name comes from the array of hammers, wrenches, capped pipes and thick wrapped cables that are used as draft pulls in the two bars.

I grew up with a Dad who was a carpenter so there were many tools very familiar to me.

Foolishly, I tried to lift a 3-foot long Monkey Wrench sitting in a corner. Heavy ornament.

There are two tasting rooms (bars), one upstairs and the other on the first floor. I did not find the "brewing area" with its large vats on this visit.

The over-size wrench was in a corner downstairs. It still is.

Didn't get the name of the bartender pouring beers, standing behind an authentic wooden toolbox.

My Dad had several toolboxes in his workshop that looked like this one.

He also had a much larger one that he hefted onto his shoulder when he worked out on the piers at the former Charleston Navy Yard during the war.

 My Dad's tool box included two sharp hand saws and several wood planes.

Also assorted chisels, ball peen and claw hammers and wrenches.

But I was here to taste some brews and I started with a flight (four 4-ounce samples) upstairs and then down stairs, to choose four samples from a longer list.

The one being discussed a lot that night was a beer called Chicken & Waffles.

Yes, a beer flavored with chicken bouillon and a hint of maple syrup. I was leery and had just a 4-ounce sample. Others ordered a full pint. Hmmm.

There were other beers I really liked. 

Check out the updated list of "Well Built Beers" on the link to Tradesman.

Many are named after tools but I also tried a 4- oz taste of Orange You Glad and some other whimsical titles.

The upstairs bar is very basic. 

A thin - but sturdy- solid steel sheet curves around the bar area.

My Dad, the carpenter, would have noted there is not any "nosing" on the edge.

That's the raised portion that keeps your cuffs away from spilled beer.

(Click on the images and links for more details.) 

Another night on the job at the Tradesman.








Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home